Morgan’s Magnificent Muffins
For my week on the Write to Cook, I decided to bake muffins. I really enjoy eating and making cupcakes and muffins, so I thought I could bake some with the club. To be honest, I have never actually made muffins or cupcakes from scratch before so it was the first time for me along with all the others. I wasn't sure how they were going to turn out, but they were actually pretty good. I normally use the box cupcake mix when baking cupcakes, so when I thought of the idea to make cupcake/ muffins, I thought that I could just use the box like I normally do, but then nobody would learn anything because they have probably all done that before. So I decided to find a new recipe to experiment with the club. The recipe actually makes cupcakes, however we decided to eat the cupcakes as if they were muffins (with no icing). The result was great, but they were a pinch dry.
1 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs, room temp
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk or plain kefir
- In bowl 1, whisk together 1 1/4 cups cake flour 1 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt. Set flour mix aside.
- In bowl 2, eggs, Add 3/4 cup sugar, Add vanilla and oil,
- Then slowly add the 1st bowl to the 2nd.
- Bake for 12 -14 minutes at 350 °
Cream Cheese Icing
1 (8 oz) cream cheese, at room temp
1.5 cups powdered sugar
1.5 cups cold heavy whipping cream
½ tsp vanilla extract
- Whip the cream on high speed (1-2 minutes) until thick, fluffy and spreadable
- In a second mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar (start on low speed unless you want to be standing in a cloud of powdered sugar), then beat in ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mix. Keep it covered in the fridge until ready to use on these cupcakes.